Raymond Marine Exhibit

The Frank E. Raymond Maritime Museum and Boathouse was built for publisher George Palmer Putnam raymond photowho owned a summer estate on Rowayton Avenue from 1861 to 1867. Although a resident of Rowayton for only a short time, Putnam’s indelible influence can still be felt today. Along with his friend artist Vincent Colyer of Contentment Island,he was instrumental in bringing the train station and the Post Office to Rowayton as well as founding the first library here in 1867 and funding the children’s Sunday school at the Rowayton Methodist Church.

Following the sale of the Putnam property in 1867 to stockbroker Robert Barclay and his wife Mary, the gothic style boathouse was used for recreational boating by the Barclay family. An avid yachtsman, Robert Barclay was an enthusiastic supporter of the Norwalk Yacht Club.

The Barclay estate was torn down in the 1970s, and only its boathouse and barn are still standing today. oyster boatThe boathouse was moved to three separate locations within the Jenkins/Ely Boatyard before being donated to the Rowayton Historical Society by Grove Ely and moved to Pinkney Park in 1992.

The Boathouse was dedicated to the memory of Rowayton Historical Society founder Frank E. Raymond in 2000 and now houses a marine and boat exhibit highlighting Rowayton’s relationship to Long Island Sound.